POD and HP Products.

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 12:20:56 CEST 2007

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Trying to find out whether any HP products support PoD (Packet of
>> Disconnect). I've got a HP2626 ProCurve  switch and one of the new HP
>> 530 WAPs (released last august).
>
> If you don't have a reason to believe they *do* i.e. docs saying so,
> they almost certainly don't.

Ah yes but in HPs manuals no where do they mention the relevant
attributes to do *anything*. So I was holding on to a faint glimmer of
hope...

>> Seems strange that their enterprise products don't support  something as
>> basic as this, specially when the RFC was published in 2003.
>
> It's annoying but it's not strange. A lot of vendors don't even bother
> with full and complete radius auth/acct support - why go for PoD?

Because they're damn expensive, but yes I don't think i've found one
device which fully complies with the relevant RFC specs *sigh*.

> For wired switches, you might try setting the ifMauAutoNegRestart
> (described in RFC 2668) to "1" which on quite a few switches will drop
> the physical link and as a byproduct cause authentication to restart
> (which, if you've now banned this person, is a good thing).

Forces link speed renegotiation ? . Guess i'll have to look through the
mibs for the wireless APs and see if they have anything similar.

Thanks for the pointer with SNMP :)
--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk)
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer