Cannot find -lperl nonsense

Alan Dekok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 12 11:45:08 CEST 2007

Stefan Winter wrote:=
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[6]: *** [rlm_perl.la] Error 1
>
> You need to have the perl development packages installed (usually called
> perl-dev or perl-devel). Try again when these are installed.

  Taking another look at it, the problem is the following:

$ locate libperl
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libperl5.8.shlibs
/usr/lib/libperl.so.5.8
/usr/lib/libperl.so.5.8.8
/usr/share/defoma/libperl-file.pl

  There's no libperl.so.  The ".so's" are usually a soft link to the
".so.X.Y" files.  In this case, it looks like the soft link wasn't
created.  There's also no "libperl.a".

  Also on the same system:

$ perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts
-Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl/5.8/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
-L/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE -lperl -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt

  i.e. When you ask *Perl* what it thinks the LD flags should be, it
returns "-lperl", and not "-lperl.so.5.8".  Since the "5.8" file is the
only libperl on the system, I would suggest that the Perl installation
is broken.

  This is on Ubuntu.  I'm going to file a bug with them.