load balancing problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 29 11:48:59 CEST 2007

EXT / GFI REBOLJ Jean-Pierre wrote:
> hi,
> i've a proxy  with freeradius 1.1.6 in load balacing with two back-end
> radius 1.1.6
> the problem is that I see the Authentication request and response then
> Accounting start on the fisrt back-end server and the accounting  stop
> on the second backend server.
> is this a bug or a problem of configuration ?

  It's the way load balancing works.  It's documented as working this
way.  Requests get randomly load balanced between different home servers.

  FreeRADIUS does *not* track individual user sessions for load
balancing.  That's a *lot* of work.

  In 2.0, you can do "client-balance", which does load-balancing by
hashing the client IP address.  So all requests from one client will go
to one server.  But it's only useful if you have a large number of clients.