load balancing problem

Hugh Messenger hugh at alaweb.com
Fri Jun 29 18:15:02 CEST 2007

"EXT / GFI REBOLJ Jean-Pierre" <ext.gfi.rebolj at sncf.fr> said:
[snip]
>        ldflag          = round_robin
[snip]
> the problem is that I see the Authentication request and response then
> Accounting start on the fisrt back-end server and the accounting  stop
> on the second backend server.

That sounds like round_robin is doing its job.

>From the example proxy.conf:

#  If there is no ldflag attribute, or it is set to 'fail_over', then
#  the realms are treated as "fail-over".  That is, the first matching
#  realm is used, unless it is down, in which case the realm "fails
#  over" to the second matching realm.  The process continues until an
#  active matching realm is found, OR the DEFAULT realm is returned.
#
#  If the ldflag attribute is set to 'round_robin', then all active
#  realms of the same name are put into a pool internally in the
#  server, and the proxied requests are evenly divided among the
#  realms in the pool.  For this to work, all realms of the same name
#  MUST have the same value of their 'ldflag' attributes.  Mixing up
#  different types of load balancing schemes for the same realm will
#  cause problems.

If you are trying to truly load balance, rather than just failover, I don't
think this can be done just in the realms config.  You should probably read
doc/load-balance.txt.

> JPR

   -- hugh