EAP-TTLS outer identity & accounting

Sam Schultz segfault90 at hushmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:20:04 CET 2007

I'm currently using EAP-TTLS & PAP (via SecureW2) to authorize &
authenticate wireless clients against specific realms. Users are
able to authorize & authenticate properly, but the username in
incoming accounting replies come in as 'anonymous@<realmname>'.
I had this spitting out proper accounting information before,
and haven't changed any configuration options since putting it
into production. The only conclusions I can come up with are:

1) The access points are buggy (3com OfficeConnects)
2) FreeRADIUS doesn't keep track of connections properly -- either
   because it doesn't bother to replace anonymous entries with the
   previously seen identity for the given ID, or I haven't
   configured it to do so.

I would be inclined to think it was the latter, except that the
configuration was working properly previously, and the
Accounting-Request packet itself contains anonymous at realm instead
of the actual authenticated user.

Anyone have any suggestions, or can anyone at least point me to
any documentation on this?

Click for free info on online masters degrees and make $150K/ year
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/CAaCXv1S74pwqkZuxyoxY1QhnF9TgBDK/