IP Pool management and Re-authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 20 18:22:24 CET 2007

Thibault Le Meur wrote:
> Openvpn sometimes needs to renegotiate the connections and thus sends
> authentication requests while the connection is still active (with an
> already assigned IP address): this causes FR to assign a new IP address from
> the pool (which seems normal since FR has no way to know this is a
> renegotiation).

  So why isn't the radiusplugin telling FreeRADIUS what the old IP
address was?

> I'd like to patch the openvpn-radiusplugin so that an extra attribute is
> sent in the Access-Accept packets so that FR will be able to differentiate
> Initial and Renegociation Access-Accept requests and only assign new IP
> address from the pool on Initial Access-Accept requests.

  I think you mean Access-Request packet.  If it doesn't have a
Framed-IP-Address attribute, FreeRADIUS can allocate & send one in an
Access-Accept.  If openvpn re-authenticates a session with an existing
IP address, it should send Framed-IP-Address in the Access-Request.

> Do you know a standard Radius attribute that could be used for this ?
> As far as you know, are there other NASes using such a quirk ? Does this
> make sense ?

  It makes sense.