CRL Signature failure

Jeremy Pastin jpastin at firstindustrial.com
Fri Mar 23 22:29:51 CET 2007

Sorry forgot a subject

I am trying to set up EAP-TLS using FreeRadius, and I am using EJBCA to
sign my certs.  I have been able to get everything to work correctly
except the CRL.  I have created a directory
/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/crls where I am storing my CRL info.  In this
directory I have the certificate chain of the signing CA (in pem format)
and the latest CRL for that CA (also in pem format).  After the CRL is
copied into this directory I execute c_rehash on the directory and
everything runs fine.  When I run radiusd, however, all attempts to
authenticate are denied.  The pertinent portion of the output from
radiusd -X -A is :

rlm_eap_tls: <<< TLS 1.0 Handshake [length 07b8], Certificate
--> verify error:num=8:CRL signature failure
rlm_eap_tls: >>> TLS 1.0 Alert [length 0002], fatal decrypt_error
TLS Alert write:fatal:decrypt error
TLS_accept:error in SSLv3 read client certificate B rlm_eap: SSL error
error:0407006A:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is
not 01rlm_eap_tls: SSL_read failed inside of TLS (-1), TLS session
fails.

This seems to tell me that FreeRadius cannot verify the CRL against the
CA cert.  However, when I run:
    openssl crl -in my-crl.pem -inform PEM -CAfile my-cacert.pem -issuer
-lastupdate -nextupdate -noout
it returns verify OK and the correct info on issuer and update times.

Also when I run:
    openssl verify -CApath ./ -crl_check test.pem
it behaves as expected.

Any Ideas?

Jeremy Pastin

helpdesk at firstindustrial.com