freeradius for pam 1.3.15

Rachmel, Nir (Nir) rachmel at avaya.com
Mon Mar 26 17:13:34 CEST 2007

Hi all!

I am using the Radius-Pam module, on an embbeded ppc (windriver linux)
system, and I have a question.

I have noticed, that when configuring my box with a DNS server, then
once a user attempts login, a call is attempted at the radius server and
some kind of query is sent to the DNS server.
Looking into the code revealed that there is a call to gethostbyname(),
intended to resolve the ip of myself according to my hostname - or at
least that is what
I could figure out from the available code.

Why is it done, and how bad would it be if I changed that call to
something simpler that won't demand a connection to the DNS server?

Thanks in advance,

Nir Rachmel.