Which authentication system?

Ian Truelsen ian.truelsen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 23:46:55 CEST 2007

I am trying to figure out the various authentication systems available
and decide what is best for my setup. I am looking for advice.

Here is what I want to do:
This is for the marina that I am at and a group of 10 of us wanted
internet, invested in the hardware and want to be able to access the
system without logging in or anything like that. For this group, I was
thinking of EAP-TLS as client side certificates would not be a problem.
Being a marina, we get people in from time to time - mostly in the
summer - who are only going to be there for a week or so and just want
to check email or whatever. For these, I don't want to be dealing with
client side certs as this raises the amount of time that I have to be
administering the system exponentially. I was thinking of something
along the lines of chillispot, but I have never been able to get that
going, and I don't know whether the two systems can co-exist on the same
AP.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best auth system
to go with?

I should also mention that I already have a varied group of systems to
deal with, including Mac OS X, Win XP, linux and a couple of Win ME
systems, so support has to be pretty broad.

Thanks in advance.
--
Ian Truelsen
s/v Sting