Freeradius proxy code questions and proposed patch

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 4 04:44:31 CEST 2007

Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:
> Precicely. But when we work in 'synchronous' mode we want the NAS to
> be in charge of the retransmision policy not our proxy server. If the
> home server does not reply for any reason, we want the client (NAS) to
> notice it and retransmit. Eventually, the client will mark our proxy
> server dead not because it is its fault, but because the home server
> is not responding.

  Have you tried using failover for home servers?  The whole point of
marking a home server dead is to remove it from the pool of home
servers.  Then, if another one in the same pool is alive, the proxy will
use it.

  If you don't mark the home server dead, then you can't do failover,
and your system becomes less robust.

>>   Which server?  All your patch does is make sure that the NAS marks the
>> proxying server as dead.
>
> Eventually, yes this is what the NAS will do. All that is due to the
> synchronous mode in proxy operation.

  The solution is not to patch the code to make the proxying server
dead.  The solution is to use more than one home server.

> I have read in the list about the major clean up version 2.0 of the
> server will be. While reading the code of versions 1.x I could see
> that there is great room for improvement. I will take a look in the
> 2.0 sources and I look forward to testing it when it becomes
> available.

  Please test it now.  If everyone waits for 2.0 to be release before
testing it, then everyone will discover little problems that they don't
like.  Spend some time now to give feedback, and 2.0 will be that much
more robust for everyone.