Freeradius proxy code questions and proposed patch

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 4 10:28:21 CEST 2007

Kostas Kalevras wrote:
> I think it's a good idea to start releasing 2.0preX versions. That
> should make a few more people interested in testing the code and get
> more comments.

  I'm working on fixing the handling of the "detail" files right now, so
that one server will be able to read the detail files it writes.  Once
that's done, I think we're ready for 2.0-pre0.

  e.g. With the new code, the server will be able to:

 - proxy accounting to a home server
 - if that fails, write a detail file
 - read the detail file
 - try to proxy the packets again
 - if that fails, leave the data in the detail file

  This means that a server doing proxying can just be a "pass through"
server when everything is OK.  Then, if something goes wrong, it can log
the accounting data to a file for later replay.  Once the home servers
come back up, the accounting data will be automatically sent there.