FreeRadius performance requirements

Kostas Kalevras kkalev at noc.ntua.gr
Thu May 10 09:57:17 CEST 2007

O/H Arnnei Speiser έγραψε:
> Hi Guys,
> Any recommendations on the Server minimum configuration - memory, cpu
> etc for using FR with 10k, 20k, 50k users ?
Moved to freeradius-users!!

The number of users is not the major factor. Rather the number of
requests/sec.
Where are the users stored (plain text, ldap, sql)?
Do you perform heavy accounting? To sql?
How many logins do you expect per second,hour,day?
Will you use EAP? If yes will you use one of the SSL versions
(TLS,PEAP,TTLS)?

In general freeradius should not have any problem as long as you set the
thread and/or ldap/sql connection pool parameters large enough for your
specific setup.
The most important thing to check is your authentication and accounting
database not radius itself. Any modern server should be more than
adequate for freeradius.
So check the directives in thread pool { }, the num_sql_socks in
sql.conf and ldap_connections_number in ldap { } (if you are using ldap).

> What would be the main configuration parameters that we have to
> select/set in order to handle a high volume of authentication requests.
> Thanks,
> Arnnei

Kostas Kalevras - Network Operations Center
National Technical University of Athens
http://kkalev.wordpress.com