Performance Stats

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Sat May 12 15:03:38 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>
>> It was PAP...
>>
>> Running with debugging mode *off* yields much better results !
>>

>   Well, yes.

I liked the pretty text ?!
>> Still with completely vanilla install ,
>> only getting
>>
>>      [req] => 5000
>>      [parallel] => 10
>>      [total] => 50000
>>      [start] => 1178820825.99
>>      [stop] => 1178820836.79
>>      [period] => 10.791821003
>>      [req_s] => 4633
>>

>   That's pretty low.  I'm a little surprised, in fact.  I was getting
> that performance almost 6 years ago on machines available then.

Yes it's worryingly low,

This is with the G5 optimisation compiler flags passed to GCC...
Though i'm not sure it's taking them ...

should just be

env CFLAGS=-O3 -mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -mpowerpc64
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius-cvsfast

make
make install ...

But the configure script doesn't seem to take notice of the CFLAGS env
variable , so does not pass the flags to the compiler at build time.

Have you had anyone else running FreeRADIUS on a G5 feed back about
performance ?
>> localhost to localhost
>>

>   Try from one machine to another.  Maybe the client & server are
> competing for resources on the same machine.

Will try machine to machine on monday, or later today if I have time,
though I suspect the performance will probably be worse.

top reveals that radclient is running at about 70% utilization and
radiusd at 104%.

These boxes are not under any kind of load and have a pretty vanilla
install of Mac OSX Server 10.4.9.
Can't figure out why it's so slow.