HUP stops radiusd

Alan Dekok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed May 16 09:34:09 CEST 2007

John Horne wrote:
> I made the change and started Freeradius (from /etc/init.d). I could
> repeatedly HUP the daemon, and it answ would stay running according to 'ps'.
> However, the log file only showed one line for the first HUP and nothing
> at all after that. The line it showed was:
>
>     Tue May 15 16:48:01 2007 : Info: Reloading configuration files.
>
> If I made a change to the 'users' file, HUP'd the daemon and then tried
> to run radtest, the daemon died. Nothing new in the log file. If I ran
> strace on the daemon it showed:

  That's encouraging.  We already know that HUP is fairly broken.  So
strange behavior on HUP is... expected.

> If I start radiusd using '/usr/sbin/radiusd -X', then I can see each HUP
> causes the config files to be read. Radiusd shows at each HUP:

  i.e. it works.

  So it's an OpenSSL bug.  Calling SSL_library_init() does NOT clear any
errors on OpenSSL's error stack.  That's bad.

> However, trying to then use radtest causes a segfault. No core file,
> although I have set 'allow_core_dumps'. Running an strace of the
> 'radiusd -X' process shows:

  That's bad.

  I'll run it under valgrind to see if it gives any more information.

  But it looks like the "clear error" call fixes part of the problem.
The next step is to get HUP handling to work without crashing the server.