db performance

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 18 14:29:45 CEST 2007

Angelos Karageorgiou wrote:
> I have deployed freeradius with mysql backends in the past with great
> success (100K users etc.)
> but the current people being insecure prefer to fork out 50K euros /
> year for oracle RAC licenses
> instead of looking into an "unsupported" platform

  That is FUD from people who are biased towards large companies, and
are biased against small companies.

  There are any number of companies offering support for MySQL,
PostgreSQL, FreeRADIUS, or any other open source software.

> What I need is proof positive that mysql / postgresql is at least as
> good as oracle for a radius DB.

  I know of multiple sites with 10-15 million users who are using
FreeRADIUS and MySQL.
My experience is that some people get *better* support from MySQL and
PostgreSQL than form Oracle.

  i.e. If you're spending a million dollars a year for Oracle support,
you're a medium-sized customer.  If you're spending 10K a year for MySQL
support, you're a medium sized customer.  On top of that, MySQL &&
PostgreSQL give you source, so you can hire *anyone* to find & fix a bug
for you.  If Oracle is slow answering your support questions, there's
*nothing* else you can do... except move to an OSS platform.

> BTW , I have been using freeradius for a number of years , I would like
> to thank the developers for an awesome product

  It's going to get better. :)