Log Rotation

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri May 18 18:23:27 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:09 +0200, Jack J Allan wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
>         Another solution would be to perform logging via syslog(3),
>         which
>         absolves radiusd from trapping and handling signals and file
>         handlers.
>         Syslog-ng already does this very well -- why duplicate all of
>         that code?
>         ~BAS
>

> I've certainly looked at that possibility, the problem is that you
> cannot separate your logging components nicely. I'd like to separate
> my radius.log, sqltrace, detail logfiles per nas and all that. I'm
> afraid that syslog can't do that and you'll run out of log facilities
> very quickly if you decided to do it manually ( e.g. one facility per
> logfile).
>
> I found a workaround (no HUP) so I'm happy.
>
> Jack
I have not checked in quite a while, but at one point a while back,
I suggested using configurable dynamic log file names, like the detail
files have. I used to use such a beast on a version of Cistron Radius
that I customized, but I ran into problems trying to make it work
with FR because if I remember correctly, and it is quite possible I
do not, there was some kind of problem I ran into where the "Xlate"
function did not generate what I expected when it had insufficient
data to resolve the log file "name" due to the type of error. Having
the configurable logging was low on my list of priorities back then
and has not become any more important as of now, but it would still
be a nice feature if their was a way to use defaults using
"{{variable}:-default}" type entries.