FreeRadius crash

David Wood david at wood2.org.uk
Sun May 20 01:34:04 CEST 2007

Hi Doug and everyone,

In message <444BFFDD-3494-451C-AB44-BFC74DD130E8 at lafn.org>, Doug Hardie
<bc979 at lafn.org> writes

>On May 8, 2007, at 00:49, Alan DeKok wrote:
>
>> Doug Hardie wrote:
>>> FreeRadius 1.1.2 on FreeBSD 6.1 using libpthread.
>>
>>   Upgrade to 1.1.6.  It has a lot of fixes that may help.
>>
>>   It looks like it's crashing when starting a new child thread.  That
>> may be a pthread issue in the underlying libraries.
>
>Upgraded to the latest of everything.

Including the OS? FreeBSD is up to 6.2-RELEASE(-p4) now. FWIW, I didn't
find going from 6.1 to 6.2 that painful - though there's always the risk
of something going wrong.

>Same problem except that it
>only took about an hour before the first crash.
>Any ideas how to figure out what is going on?  Or at least to find
>the request that is in process when the crash occurs?

Can I ask - especially as I'm the maintainer of the FreeBSD FreeRADIUS
port - are you using the port or not? I've put in a lot of effort to
tidy up the port over the last few versions, and I believe it is now a
good quality and easily maintainable port, despite it missing one or two
features I'd like to add when I get the time.

Most notably, I've done away with unnecessary or irrelevant patches (in
fact, the only patch that remains is to do with FreeBSD 4.x and will
probably be ripped out soon).

As an aside, I hope to create a 2.0.0-pre1 port soon - though I've been
away and very busy, and there's still a ports freeze in place with the
ongoing work to switch FreeBSD to XOrg 7.2. I don't know whether testing
with 2.0.0-pre1 is of interest to you, but I intend to try running
2.0.0-pre1 on my site as soon as possible for testing purposes.

Hopefully someone can give you some debugging advice, and we can figure
out whether this is a FreeRADIUS or FreeBSD problem. I doubt that the
port itself is to blame, as apart from the aforementioned source patch
(which just adds a single #include line to one file), and a some
patching to the build system to change the install location of raddb,
the port simply wraps the contents of the tarball from the FreeRADIUS
project.

Best wishes - hope you can get this one sorted out,

David
--
David Wood
david at wood2.org.uk