Should I use FR 2.0.0 or 1.1.6?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon May 21 18:19:54 CEST 2007

Hi,

I expect the freeradius developers will hate me for asking this, but is
there an estimate of when the final version of FR 2.0.0 will be
released?

I have four servers to upgrade - 3 currently run FR 1.0.1 and one is
already upgraded to 1.1.6. I am at an academic site, and the students
are currently taking their exams. As such, within the next few weeks
most of the staff/students will have left, and I can start to get on
with the upgrades and other things. This gives me a window of a couple
of months at least to do the upgrades.

The question is, do I install FR 2.0.0 now (even as a pre-release) so
that upgrading to the final version should be relatively trivial, or do
I stay with 1.1.6 knowing that at some future point, perhaps soon after
the start of next term, I have to upgrade again to 2.0.0? I notice that
upgrading from 1.x to 2.x requires going through the config files, and
will obviously require some testing, so upgrading to 2.x may not be
trivial. That is, I can't do it in a short time, but I can upgrade from
1.0.1 to 1.1.6 quickly because I already have one server done.

I suppose another possibility could be to run 3 servers at 1.1.6 and one
at 2.0.0 :-) Hmm, sounds interesting...

I should add that all 4 servers are 'live', but I have kept the 1.1.6
server mainly out of use for the past few months. As such we can run our
service on 3 servers.

Anyone any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

John.