Should I use FR 2.0.0 or 1.1.6?

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Mon May 21 22:46:55 CEST 2007

> I have four servers to upgrade - 3 currently run FR 1.0.1 and one is
> already upgraded to 1.1.6. I am at an academic site, and the students
> are currently taking their exams. As such, within the next few weeks
> most of the staff/students will have left, and I can start to get on
> with the upgrades and other things. This gives me a window of a couple
> of months at least to do the upgrades.

Oh but it's no fun if people don't notice when you break things :)
> The question is, do I install FR 2.0.0 now (even as a pre-release) so
> that upgrading to the final version should be relatively trivial, or do
> I stay with 1.1.6 knowing that at some future point, perhaps soon after
> the start of next term, I have to upgrade again to 2.0.0? I notice that
> upgrading from 1.x to 2.x requires going through the config files, and
> will obviously require some testing, so upgrading to 2.x may not be
> trivial. That is, I can't do it in a short time, but I can upgrade from
> 1.0.1 to 1.1.6 quickly because I already have one server done.

Ok the major difference you'll notice is the handling of realms. In
1.1.6 you have a realm which consists of a pool of servers dedicated to
that realm.
In 2.0 you define your servers, you group your servers into pools, then
you put your server pools into realms....

Porting 1.x.x config files will take you an hour at most, the only
things your really likely to want to test very thoroughly are the
proxying, and possibly redundant failover modules if you've used them.

I've got a template config for v2.0 style realms for JRS if you want
it... or you can go pester Alan over at loughborough ... he must have a
2.0 test server by now.