Problem with logging detail-log to syslog

Tom Whitehouse tomw at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 23 20:44:04 CEST 2007

> I want to log all the freeradius (v 1.1.3) logs to syslog (syslog-ng).
> I 've already added this to my syslog-ng.conf :
>
>   filter f_radiusd { match ("radiusd"); };
>   destination radiuslogs { file("var/log/radiusd.log"); };
>   log { source (src); filter(f_daemon); filter(f_radiusd);
> destination(radiuslogs);};
>
> And I changed/added this in my radiusd.conf :
>
>   logdir = syslog
>   log_destination = syslog
>
> So far so good: when I restart syslog-ng and radiusd, radiusd is logging
> to /var/log/radiusd.log via syslog. But I also want to have the
> detail-logs, which are normaly in the raddact directory, working in
> syslog... Now I see this error in /var/log/radiusd.log :
>
>   rlm_detail: Failed to create directory syslog/radacct: No such file or
> directory
>
> So the rlm_detail part doesn't understands the 'logdir = syslog' option
> in radiusd.conf I guess? How can I fix this?

We created a pipe/FIFO:
  mkfifo /var/logfifo -m 600
  chown radius /var/logfifo

Included the pipe/FIFO in the syslog-ng configuration:
  source src { ...; pipe('/var/logfifo'); ... }

Changed the radiusd.conf detail section:
  detailfile = /var/logfifo

Changed all the occurrances of ${logdir} in radiusd.conf for
radwtmp/radutmp/sradutmp if being used:
  from SOMETHING = ${logdir}/SOMETHING
  to   SOMETHING = ${localstatedir}/log/radius/SOMETHING

HTH,
  Tom
--
Tom Whitehouse
Department of Computer Science, University of York