Freeradius pauses before responding when not running in debug mode

Patric patrict at bluebottle.com
Fri May 25 13:54:07 CEST 2007

Hi all,

As per the subject, I have found the following interesting behaviour
with freeradius 1.1.6

When running the server in normal mode or in debug level 1 mode :

radiusd -y

or

radiusd -y -x (lowercase x)

When sending an access request, the server pauses for a few seconds
somewhere in the exec part of the authorize section.

When running the server in more verbose debug mode :

Radiusd -y -X (uppercase X)

This pause does not occur.

I am using exec to run external authentication, and would have thought
it was my script causing the pause, but it does not appear when running
with -X

Anybody else experience something like this?

Thanks
Patrick