Proxy home server failover

Tomas Hoger tomas.hoger at gmail.com
Sun May 27 18:15:01 CEST 2007

HI Alan!

On 5/27/07, Alan Dekok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>    That's not what the documentation says.  It says that a request will
> be rejected once it has timed out.  If the home server is marked dead
> while the request is still alive, AND the NAS retransmits, then the
> request will be sent to another home server.

Ok.  Sorry, I was probably misled into believing behavior of 2.0 is
similar to behavior of 1.x by following part of sample proxy.conf:

        #
        #  If the home server doesn't respond to the request within
        #  this time, this server will consider the request dead, and
        #  respond to the NAS with an Access-Reject.
        #
        #  Useful range of values: 5 to 60
        response_window = 20

>    Various hacks can be added to 1.1.x, but the problem is deeper than
> that.  The code in 1.1.x isn't easy to debug or modify.  The code in 2.x
> is much clearer, better organized, and supports *much* more
> functionality than 1.1.x.
>
>    At this point, new features will not be added to 1.1.x.  If you want
> new features, use 2.0.0 when it comes out.

Yes, I do am aware of the fact that 2.0 has a lot of improvements in
proxy code and I do understand that all effort is put into new
version.  I just need to hack 1.1.x to match my needs until 2.0 is
released.  You can also ignore my feature proposal, as it was based on
wrong assumption that new code has the same "problem" as new one.

Many thanks for your reply as it answered my questions!

th.