Maintaining a (very) dynamic user list with freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 3 13:51:36 CET 2007

Jos Vos wrote:
> RH always backports security patches.  From their 1.0.1 changelog:

  Forgive me for not following how all of the vendors operate.

> Deviating from the standard RHEL packages and maintaining your own RPM
> (this is for a large number of systems) is probably doable (often you
> encounter incompatibiities with older compilers and libraries, but
> freeradius is a relatively isolated piece of software, I think), but it
> also means I have to take care of security problems etc. myself, while
> RH does that for me now.  That's why I only tend to maintain my own
> version if really necessary.

  Given the large difference in functionality between 1.0.x and 1.1.x,
it's almost not worth asking for help on this list.  Almost everyone is
using a *recent* version (i.e. one that's less than a year old).

  Once 2.0 has been out for a while, I suspect that the answer to
questions about 1.0.x will be one word: Upgrade.

  In other words, it's nice that your preferred vendor supports a
product that is many years old.  Perhaps they should be supporting it
*completely*.  i.e. Answering questions about it.

  If you're not willing to upgrade, understand that no one here is
getting paid to go back to a 3-year-old version, and try to figure out
how to solve your problem using functionality that they're no longer
familiar with.

  You made a choice to stick with an unsupported version.  Upgrade to a
supported version, or buy support.