nas-port always the same

John Kougoulos koug at intracom.gr
Mon Nov 5 15:52:29 CET 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to integrate a Cisco wireless controller in web authentication
mode with freeradius which uses rlm_dbm as user database. I run also some
extra scripts using rlm_exec to update the session-timeout etc.

The odd thing is that this device sends as nas-port always the number 1.

So, this breaks rlm_radutmp and the check simultaneous users
functionality. Obviously the correct method is to try to convince cisco to
send different nas-port number for every request.

However, in the mean time I thought of changing the nas-port with a number
based on the calling-station-id (the last 4 bytes of the client's
mac-address).

  To do this I tried the rlm_perl, in preacct, but as far as I've
understood from the archives of the mailing list, I cannot change the
request pairs, at least up to Freeradius 1.1.7. Is this correct?

Is this functionality supported on 2.0.0pre2 ?

Am I in the correct path for resolving this issue or should I consider an
alternative method?

thanks,
John