freeradius auto-vlan 3com switch 4500G

Philippe Breton pbreton at wustl.edu
Sat Nov 10 17:30:08 CET 2007

Krzysztof what attributes are you using?

Krzysztof Olędzki wrote:
> On 2007-11-09 20:52, Philippe Breton wrote:
>> HI,
> Hi,
>
>> Has anyone successfully implemented auto-vlan with 3Com switch 4500G?
> Successfully implemented with 5500G :)
>
>> I am using the following tunneling attributes:
>>
>> ATTRIBUTE    Tunnel-Type               64    integer    has_tag
>> ATTRIBUTE    Tunnel-Medium-Type        65    integer    has_tag
>> ATTRIBUTE    Tunnel-Private-Group-Id   81    string    has_tag
>> VALUE        Tunnel-Type               VLAN    13
>> VALUE        Tunnel-Medium-Type        TMT802        6
>
> No need to. Freeradius comes with very decent dictionary.
>
>> The node is declared as followed:
>>
>> ##IT Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop -- DHCP
>> 00-09-5b-61-52-0d  Auth-Type := Local, User-Password ==
>> "00-09-5b-61-52-0d"
>>                    Tunnel-Medium-Type = TMT802,
>>                    Tunnel-Private-Group-id = 2,
>>                    Tunnel-Type = VLAN,
>
> Tunnel-Medium-Type = IEEE-802

I did this correction but not to avail!

>> Although my radius access request shows that the access has been
>> granted and the VLAN 2 assigned, the switch 4500G does not open its
>> port on VLAN 2.
>>
>> I changed the tunnel-medium-type between TMT802 and 802, but that did
>> not change anything.
>>
>> I am currently doing auto-vlan with 3com 4400 with the same
>> configuration and it is working like a charm. Any idea why the switch
>> does automatically adjust?
>
> 4400 and 4500G models have completely different hardware and software.

Have I had realized those differences I would have had spend an extra
$200 for the 3870!

>> Any beginning of information is welcome.
>
> Did you setup your switch properly:
>
> domain (...)
>  vlan-assignment-mode string

Hard to give a 100% answer on this question. I believe I did with the
help of 3com support.

>>         Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:0 = "2u"
>
> AFAIK "u" tagging does not work with this model. Drop it.
I did! But that too did not change anything

--
Philippe Breton
Systems Manager
pbreton at wustl.edu