hints and non-DEFAULT entries

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Nov 14 15:09:36 CET 2007

Hi,

today I tried to use hints, but obviously in an unsupported manner. I wanted
to set a specific attribute for one user if he logs in from one specific NAS
and thought that:

theguy		Client-IP-Address == 1.2.3.4
	The-Attribute = x

would do it.

Instead, this line matched all incoming usernames, just as if there was
DEFAULT instead of theguy at the beginning of the line. I.e. it attached the
attribute to *everyone* coming in from that IP.

I changed the entry to match with DEFAULT User-Name == "theguy", which worked.
I suggest to add documentation to hints that the usual "users" way of adding
entries with the user name at the beginning of the line doesn't work.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg