local ssh authentication via radius possible?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 26 22:48:11 CET 2007

Dan Gahlinger wrote:
> I'm not fighting you at all.

  <shrug>  Having answered questions on this list for nearly a decade, I
 see patterns.

> All of your answers previously were "read the documentation, it's there".
> well, it's not. definitely not.

  The parts I was pointing you to were documented.  Or, I was pointing
you to other non-RADIUS documentation.  i.e. PAM.

> the pam_radius_auth link you gave me states:
> take a look at my config - /etc/pam.d/sshd

  Which is different.  Unfortunately, every distribution has their own
"special" flavor of their PAM configuration.  The documentation in
pam_radius_auth is generic, and matches many commonly used
configurations.  If it doesn't, see:

  a) the documentation for your OS
  b) the generic PAM documentation

  i.e. configuring PAM to use pam_radius_auth is a... PAM issue.  The
best place to look for help is the PAM documentation, or a PAM list, or
OS-specific help.

> a "Default" radiusd install with NO changes (except server file as follows:
> 127.0.0.1       testing123             3
>
> users in password file can login, but it doesn't seem to be using radius.

  Then see the PAM documentation for debugging, and how to see if it's
calling pam_radius_auth.

> the documentation for pam is as clear as mud. did it mean to modify the
> login file like this:
  Modifying the "login" file affects only the "login" process.  Not "sshd".

> because that doesnt make any difference either. same result as with just
> sshd above

  See the PAM documentation for debugging PAM.  Once you have it calling
pam_radius_auth, ask more questions here.