IPv6 deployment "howto"

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Oct 8 13:11:51 CEST 2007

Mark J Elkins wrote:
> My reading of this is that I can use FreeRADIUS 1.1.6 to store and
> transport IPv6 Radius attributes.... so I can use 1.1.6 ???

  Yes.

>>   There's Framed-IPv6-prefix, where you can assign Ip's to a client.
>
> I think this is for static allocations only.

  I don't know what you mean by that.  The Access-Accept can contain an
IPv6 prefix.  The prefix is valid only for as long as the session is
active.  It is NOT a permanently allocated static IP.

>>From my limited experience, rfc3162 seems to suggest using
> "Login-IPv6-Host" as a trigger?

  No.  This is for connecting the user to a machine.  It is not for
assigning an IP address to a machine.

  See Login-Service, and Login-TCP-Port.

  The Login-* attributes are about connecting a dial-in user directly to
an <ip/port> pair.