Load Balancing user requests to multiple LNS's

Adrian adrian at dsl4u.ca
Mon Oct 22 17:11:35 CEST 2007

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to configure our free-radius server to send multiple LNS L2TP
parameters to a customer's radius server for establishing an L2TP tunnel
prior to the user authenticating.

Apparently these responses will have to exist in every request however the
Customer will only establish an L2TP session if one doesn't exist already.

As per their documentation, I would have to do something like below, where
the :1: would be L2TP tunnel 1 and :2: would be Tunnel 2:

Service-Type=framed

Tunnel-Medium-Type=:1:IP
Tunnel-Medium-Type=:2:IP

Tunnel-Password=:1:password
Tunnel-Password=:2:password

Tunnel-Type=:1:L2TP
Tunnel-Type=:2:L2TP

Tunnel-Server-Endpoint=:1:X.X.X.X
Tunnel-Server-Endpoint=:2:Y.Y.Y.Y

Tunnel-Preference=:1:1
Tunnel-Preference=:2:1

The tunnel-preference would tell them to load balance between Tunnel Server
Endpoint 1 and 2.  I have loaded all this in a group in the radgroupreply
and assigned the group to the user table however when I query the radius I
only get the first tunnel info back to me.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

In the radius logs there are no errors logged and it just shows the replies
it sent to the customer which excludes the :2: tunnel information.

I'm using Freeradius 1.0.4 with a mysql config.

Thanks
Adrian Boros