Freeradius doesn't detect EAP when authenticating against MySQL

preem primski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:56:26 CEST 2007

Ah yes, that explains it, thanks Alan.

So, what is a common practice to do this then? I understand its not very
safe nor sane to store passwords in clear text, thats why I wanted to avoid
that, however it seems inevitable.

Let me explain a little better what I'm trying to do:

I am managing a wired network for some 300 users, its a student dorm and the
university owns the network and they require authentication for the ease of
management and control. 802.1x felt like the right way to go, because we are
planning some wireless access points as well. There are HP's Procurve 2650
switches in use. I choose mysql db backend, because I also created set of
PHP scripts, where users can change their passwords and admin can
add/del/modify user info.
So what can one do to avoid storing passes in clear text or is it sane
enough? The server also serves some web pages and dhcp requests.

Thanks for information.