Basic usage: What do I do next to get this to work?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 30 20:25:35 CET 2007

Doc. Caliban wrote:
> I hate to ask this, but I'm running out of time on this project and I'm
> completely new to RADIUS.  I would be really happy if someone could just
> point me to a detailed HOW TO for what I need.

  http://www.freeradius.org/doc/EAPTLS.pdf

  You need EAP-TLS to do PEAP.

> I have freeRADIUS set up with an external MySQL user database and it's
> successfully authorizing requests from NTRadPing.

  Which helps, but isn't enough.  Wireless uses a LOT more technologies
than just basic RADIUS.

> So far I'm not having any luck, and I don't mind saying that I'm a
> little over my head at this point.  Someone familiar with this will
> probably see glaring problems.

  The debug output tries to be helpful.  Honest.

> Access Point:
> D-Link DWL-7100AP (Ciscos coming in January)
> WPA-EAP
> TKIP
>
> Client Laptop:
> WPA Enterprise
> TKIP
> PEAP (Other options: EAP-SIM, TLS, TTLS, LEAP, EAP-FAST)

  So... that should be an indication that you need PEAP.

> I set up an AP to use RADIUS, and the requests get through to the RADIUS
> server, but they always fail.  Posted below is the debug output from the
> failed attempt.
>>  rlm_eap: EAP-NAK asked for EAP-Type/peap
>>  rlm_eap: No such EAP type peap

  You say that the clients will do PEAP, but you haven't configured PEAP
in the server.