Newbie question - number of radius requests per session?

Nathan Hay nphay at cedarville.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:59:58 CET 2007

I have FreeRadius 1.1.7 installed and talking to our eDirectory servers
via LDAP to authenticate users to our wireless network.  It works great,
but our eDirectory servers get hit with 11 requests each time a single
client authenticates.  Running FreeRadius in debug mode, I see 10
requests of the format "Access-Request packet from host 10.0.0.1" and
then "Sending Access-Challenge of id 0 to 10.0.0.1 port 1082".  Then I
see a single final request of the format "Access-Request packet from
host 10.0.0.1" and then "Sending Access-Accept of id 0 to 10.0.0.1 port
1082".  Each one of these 11 requests performs a check of the user on
our eDirectory servers, hence the 11 hits each time a single client
authenticates.

Is this normal or do I need to fix something?  I'd be glad to send the
entire debug capture and my config if this is not normal.

Thanks for your help,

Nathan

Nathan P. Hay
Network Engineer