randomly crashing

Matt Garretson mattg at assembly.state.ny.us
Mon Sep 17 20:31:49 CEST 2007

Hi...

Matt Ashfield wrote:
> We're running FR to authenticate users on our wireless network. It appears
> that radius is randomly stopping/crashing. I have checked logs, but have
> been unable to locate the problem and am wondering if someone could point me

For what it's worth (probably not much!)...  a month ago, I was
having "random" segfaults with a new installation of 1.1.7 on
Fedora 7 x86_64.  In most cases, the crash seemed to correspond
with this log entry you've mentioned:

> Mon Sep 17 00:31:30 2007 : Error: rlm_eap: Either EAP-request timed out OR
> EAP-response to an unknown EAP-request

My segfault would typically occur right after the above log
entry.  Analyzing with gdb usually gave a serpentine backtrace
into threading libraries and SSL-related functions -- well beyond
my ability to debug.

I was about to give up, when an openssl package update was issued
by Fedora (0.9.8b-14.fc7, around August 14).  The changelog wasn't
very descriptive, but ever since updating the openssl RPMs,
freeradius hasn't segfaulted at all.

Was it an SSL bugfix that fixed it?  Beats me.  Maybe it was
simply the running of ldconfig after the update.  Maybe it was
something else entirely.  But the point is, it might pay to make
sure your libraries are in order.  :)  (Previously I'd also had
seeming 64-bit library issues with Kerberos which were causing
Freeradius crashes.)

-Matt

PS: I do still see the "Either EAP-request timed out OR EAP-response
to an unknown EAP-request" rlm_eap error maybe 5-10 times a day,
but the Freeradius daemon no longer crashes from them.  And the client
auth succeeds on the retry ~30 seconds later.  Never saw this
behavior with Freeradius 1.1.2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it
was happening back then, and that 1.1.7 simply has more verbose
logging of such occurrences now.