Intel Proset Wireless Client does not process RFC3580 Attributes.

Terry Pelley Terry.Pelley at ocdsb.ca
Tue Sep 18 15:48:26 CEST 2007

FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.3-r0.1.2 (Upgrade to 1.1.7 is Pending)

I am running FreeRADIUS to authenticate wireless users on a bunch of Cisco
AP1231's. My wireless supplicants are running a combination of the
standard Windows XP client which works fine and the Intel Proset Client
which is causing problems.

The Radius setup is for PEAP/MSChapv2 and each user has the following
attributes assigned.

Tunnel-Type = "VLAN"
Tunnel-Medium-Type = "IEEE-802"
Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = "X" (Where X is the assigned VLAN Number)

The Proset Clients do manage to eventually authenticate, but the above
attributes do not appear to get processed.  I think this is happening
because the Proset Client sends the User-Name as "anonymous" and as there
is no "anonymous" user defined, the attributes do not get applied.

How do I get the User-Name to be sent correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Terry Pelley
Network Analyst
Business and Learning Technologies