Radrelay with multiple accounting files, radrelay via NFS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Sep 19 06:34:21 CEST 2007

Adam Bultman wrote:
> Good morning, freeradius users. I have 2.5 questions.
>
> 1. Can radrelay be used with multiple accounting directories? I have
> multiple (7) directories with files I need to be watching with
> radrelay.  I haven't been able to get radrelay to work properly when I
> use "-a /accounting-dir/" multiple times at the command line.

  It doesn't work with multiple files.  Perhaps in 2.x this will be
easier to do.

>     1.5:   Can one use wildcards for the detailfile?  I have two RADIUS
> servers, and each writes to it's own file (detail-radius1, detail-radius2)

  You cannot use wildcards.  radrelay reads one file, and one file only.

> 2.  On linux, radrelay doesn't appear to agree with NFS.  I tried to
> host my detail files via NFS, and radrelay would 'run', but not actively
> process records.  The radrelay debug would tell me it was "processing
> records", but would never send any packets.  Meanwhile, the detail file
> it was supposed to be watching is ballooning with records.

  Linux doesn't do NFS properly.

>     2.5. Note: We have a solaris server where radrelay runs fine via NFS.

  Sun wrote NFS.  The Linux people disagree with how it's supposed to work.

> I'm not too big a newbie to freeradius, but I'm trying to avoid running
> one process per NAS I need to monitor, and have my radius detail files
> split (some detail files via NFS, other detail files locally on the
> machine.)  I've read man pages and googled, but haven't found answers.
> I *do* need to store my files via NFS, for accounting reasons, and doing
> copies to an NFS mount isn't really an option, either.

  Storing log files to NFS is a terribly bad idea.  If the NFS mounts go
away, then so your RADIUS server will block.  It may not come back, too.

  Use radrelay to copy accounting records from local disk on one machine
to another machine.