attribute value length limit

Fco. Javier Melero javier at di.uc3m.es
Fri Sep 28 12:51:40 CEST 2007

Hi you all,

I've got an  LDAP attribute mapped into user-password RADIUS attribute.
This attribute is RSA-ciphered so RADIUS have to deciphered it when it
arrives in order to use it for authentication. The problem arise when I
try to use an RSA key pretty much longer than 1400 bytes, because the
resulting value exceed the 253 bytes RADIUS specification length limit.
My questions are:

Is this size limit mandatory even when this RADIUS attribute is never
put on the wire?

If so, could anybody point a way which allow me to use longer RSA keys?

Thanks in advance. Greetings

Fco. Javier Melero de la Torre

Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Servicio de Informática y Comunicaciones
Area de Seguridad y Comunicaciones
(https://asyc.uc3m.es)

e-mail: javier at di.uc3m.es
phone: (+34) 916.249.980, (+34) 918.561.341
fax:   (+34) 916.249.430