Login-Service = Telnet

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Thu Apr 3 11:10:02 CEST 2008

>What application might I use to test this environment using a Windows XP
>system?

A device called UTP cable that you plug into the local switch and a C:\
prompt. "my Cisco router" implies that you have access to it.

>I thought I have to dialup the normal way and then start my Telnet
>Client to configure the router?

No. That depends on the setup. You can telnet over the LAN if you are
local. Or dial into any ISP in the world and still telnet to that router
(if it has a public IP address and no firewall protection). If there is
a firewall that will dictate your options.

Hint - it's a good idea to have different usernames for dialup and
router administration.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP