RPM Build Errors

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Apr 6 21:41:50 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:17:27PM +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:

> Jos Vos wrote:
> > Although sometimes I would also like to have a newer version of
> > something, this *does* pay back in overall stability and API/ABI
> > compatibility throughout the OS's life time.
>
>   It pays *them*.  It doesn't pay *us*.

It pays back to the customers.  They want a stable OS environment,
not one where the software interfaces may change at every update.

>   They have a *great* business model: sell "long term support" for
> packages, and push most of the questions onto the public forums such as
> this list.

The only way to solve is is to "forbid" long-term-support type Linux
distros.  And due to the facts that there is a need for that distros
and that we live in free (software) world, this won't happen.  Sorry...

>   Their customers should have HUGE warnings in all of the documentation,
> saying "THIS PACKAGE IS YEARS OUT OF DATE."

People running a 7-year supported OS *do* know (well, they should) that
their software cann be up to 7-8 years old.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>