RPM Build Errors

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 7 07:50:06 CEST 2008

Jos Vos wrote:
> It pays back to the customers.  They want a stable OS environment,
> not one where the software interfaces may change at every update.

  Then the customers can pay for that.  Since they're often paying the
distro for LTS, they can go to the distro for help.  However, most
distros know nothing about the packages they're supporting, so the users
end up here.

> The only way to solve is is to "forbid" long-term-support type Linux
> distros.  And due to the facts that there is a need for that distros
> and that we live in free (software) world, this won't happen.  Sorry...

  That's not what I said.  When you sell something, your customers
should go to *you* for support.  You can afford to support them, because
you're getting paid.  My issues with the distros && LTS is that the
*distros* are often getting paid, and *we're* being asked to do support.

  e.g. Try bringing your car into a tobacco shop for an oil change.
They'll laugh at you, or think you're crazy.

  The real issue, IMHO with LTS distros is people doing something *new*
with them.  LTS is fine for a box that gets built, configured, shipped,
and never touched again.  If someone is going to keep poking the box
over time, and trying to get it to work with *new* configurations, than
they have chosen LTS in error.

> People running a 7-year supported OS *do* know (well, they should) that
> their software cann be up to 7-8 years old.

  Not from the messages I've seen on this list.  "upgrade?  But I'm at
the newest version my distro supports!  I didn't know that there were
newer versions..."  And (see above) the problems are usually because
they're *changing* the configuration of a box that worked 3 years ago.
Well, if it worked then, why the heck are you breaking it now?