RPM Build Errors

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 7 17:52:00 CEST 2008

Jos Vos wrote:
> For all the 1000+ apps in a distro, there are mailing lists, forums,
> or additional commercial support.

  Uh... no.  If you want to work for such a distro for free, go ahead.

> I understand your point, but this is the way it all works.  And, again,
> the same happens for all other apps.  Still, vendors *do* a lot of work
> to maintain their distro, backport security fixes etc.

  That's their business.  I'm happy for them to make money doing that.

  But if their customers are expecting third-party support, they're
sadly mistaken.  The only support they'll get is "UPGRADE!"

> Not necessarily.  When they have production servers and at some point
> people want to include a RADIUS server, or start using webmail, or want
> to enable some other subsystem, then they are going to start using a new
> feature on their (old) boxes.

  Then they are welcome to upgrade to a version *we* support.  If
they're not willing to do that, they can pay support to Redhat.  If
they're not willing to do that, then *you* can support them.

  I don't see any reason I should support them.