Generate the SSL certs

Johan Nyman Johan at mediavisiongroup.se
Sat Apr 12 18:35:38 CEST 2008

Hello all,

There should be a place on the net that hosts official tutorials for
FreeRadius that are up-to date.

Then many problems would disappear.

I was about to follow this post to get "EAP/TTLS" to work:
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2005/11/01/wpa-enterprise/

Can anyone help me sort out what not to follow in his guide, since it has
been posted 2005:

The SSL create certificate steps that tutorial mentions is the same for all
versions, and still up to date?

1. Generate a new unsigned certificate and its corresponding private key:

openssl req -new -days 365 -newkey rsa:1024 \
  -keyout /etc/pki/CA/sslkey.pem
  -out /etc/pki/CA/sslcert.pem

2. To sign this certificate:

openssl ca -in /etc/pki/CA/sslcert.pem -out /etc/pki/CA/cert.pem

3. Installing the RADIUS X.509 certificate

The certificate and its corresponding private key, plus the CA certificate,
must be installed into /etc/raddb/certs in order to use EAP-TLS or EAP-TTLS:

Install the RADIUS private key:

mv /etc/pki/CA/sslkey.pem /etc/raddb/certs/RADIUS-key.pem
Install the RADIUS signed X.509 certificate:

mv /etc/pki/CA/cert.pem /etc/raddb/certs/RADIUS-cert.pem
Install the CA certificate:

cp /etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem /etc/raddb/certs/cacert.pem
/etc/pki/CA/sslcert.pem holds the unsigned X.509 RADIUS certificate, so it
can be safely removed:

rm /etc/pki/CA/sslcert.pem

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

Media Vision Group | MVG
Stureplan 4C, 4tr
114 35 Stockholm
Sweden

Tfn: +46-8-463 10 58
Cell:+46-70-992 31 51
Fax: +46-8-463 10 10
E-mail: Johan at mediavisiongroup.se
Web: http://www.mediavisiongroup.se

CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

This e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential and intended only
for
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Any use or disclosure
of
the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.