Freeradius support IAPP (IEEE 802.11f)?

David Wood david at wood2.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 01:05:07 CEST 2008

Hi Yeray,

In message <555162.30238.qm at web23412.mail.ird.yahoo.com>, Yeray
Domínguez <yeraydominguez2000 at yahoo.es> writes
>Hello. I'm doing a tutorial of the RADIUS, IAPP and EAP protocols. I've
>had using FreeRADIUS to explain the practice part of the tutorial. But I
>don't know if FreeRADIUS support IAPP. Please, it's very important for me
>to know it. If the response is 'no', could you recommend me another
>RADIUS server that support IAPP?

I have to ask - why are you interested in IAPP? IEEE withdrew 802.11f in
February 2006, over two years ago. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Access_Point_Protocol for
confirmation (follow the link in footnote 2).

WPA2 pre-authentication can do a similar job in some situations -
there's some more comments about how IAPP fits - or rather doesn't fit -
with 802.11i at the bottom of http://tinyurl.com/5k3ocw

802.11r, which should include all 802.11f scenarios, is not yet
finished.

As for your question, I don't believe there's any specific IAPP support
in FreeRADIUS - though I'm not familiar enough with IAPP to know exactly
what is needed from FreeRADIUS. In the latter of my two references, I
can see a reference to SA details coming from RADIUS, but that sounds
like a generic IPsec thing than a specific IAPP thing.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding IAPP - I haven't put that much
effort into understanding an obsolescent protocol which appears to have
possible security implications in some scenarios if used without IPsec.

Best wishes,

David
--
David Wood