rlm_perl , unlang and Exec-Wait with Perl

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 20:19:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

> How could one compare between Rlm_perl and Unlang(or any other
> relevant module) for performance.
>
> I've read in http://wiki.freeradius.org/index.php/Rlm_perl
>
> that rlm_perl supports muliple instances and threads allowing faster processing.
>
> How is it with policies done using unlang? ......Faster, slower or no
> significant diff?
>
> As described in the same site 'Exec-Program-Wait' with perl scripts is
> slower than rlm_perl.
>
> Would like to have a clearer view about these points.

unlang is great/fantastic for doing stuff that is trivial and needs
to be done 'in the server' - if you need to access outside facilities
- eg get stuff from other resources, read contents from files etc
then PERL gives you more access.  we've got installations running
with 128 perl threads fine for almost a year now. the server told
us how many threads it needed as when we didnt give it enough, it
complained! ;-)

my opinion. of course.

alan