FreeRADIUS + 802.1X wireless rollout questions

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sat Apr 19 00:03:10 CEST 2008

Hi,

> Questions:
> 1. Do any of you have feedback/thoughts/experience on how our freeradius
> server may handle the auth. request load given our situation?

we currently deal with 600 concurrent wireless users and 5000 concurrent
wired users. the FR shows no sign of stress (after initial tweaks)

> 2. Do you think that we may need to tweak any of the settings in the
> radiusd.conf file  (max_requests, max_request_time, etc)?

you may need to adjust number of threads. but you biggest issue
in FR is the lookup of any extrnal data - be that the AD, an SQL
system etc

> 3.  Any other advice/suggestions you have or think of would be welcome and
> appreciated.

when you move to 802.1X the RADIUS is your no.1 weak point. ensure
you have failover

alan