the newbie on radiustesting strikes again

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Sun Apr 20 01:36:41 CEST 2008

>DHCP-server can be deactivated on the router but I had some problems making a deactivation work for the WinOSs. If the 4 machines have IPs 192.168.0.193-199 I could set DHCP reservations range on the router to the same and thus stop the server,is this safe, or does it disturb the radius DHCP ability?

Win XP has 3 levels of redundancy when IPs are handed over. On first
level you can configure static IP or leave it on authomatic. If it's
left on authomatic and there is no DHCP/radius IP configuration,
secondary level is used. You can configure static IP there that will
kick in when you are on a network without DHCP/radius. If that is also
left unconfigured third level will assign an IP from APIPA range
(169.254.x.x). So on Win XP client your connection will eventually get
an IP even with no IP from the router.

Use either DHCP or radius to hand out IPs. Pick what's easier for you.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP