Dynamic DNS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 22 16:44:18 CEST 2008

Jack Murgia wrote:

> Not sure what the intention of that module is, but in the roadmap it says "
> New module: rlm_nsupdate (dyndns). Because dynamic addresses are cruel."

  That comment dates back *years*.  There's no interest in doing it.

> Oh it's very fast at restarting. But I'd have to decide how much "downtime"
> for the authorization process due to NAS ip changes I am willing to tolerate
> (10 minutes? 5 minutes?) and set my restart intervals accordingly, which
> seems a bit messy. Especially if someone is trying to login, as noted above.

  The solution is to enable better HUP on the server.  The client IP
addresses are buried inside of multiple data structures, and changing
them on the fly won't work.

> And does it affect open sessions on other NASs (force them to login again,
> creating simultaneous use issues with orphaned accounting records in MySQL)?
> Will have to test that as well.

  HUP'ing the server won't affect user sessions on the NASes.  Ever.

> I suppose restarting freeradius would be an acceptable workaround for the
> time being if those two issues above aren't barriers.

  That's what most people do.