Freeradius performance settings or bug?

Jeremiah Millay jmillay at sover.net
Tue Apr 22 17:31:22 CEST 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Jeremiah Millay wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm seeing some odd behavior running freeradius-1.1.7 in a freebsd
>> 6.3 environment. I see a lot of these in the radius log:
>>
>> Tue Apr 22 09:27:44 2008 : Error: Discarding duplicate request from
>> client arc3.wnskvtao.sover.net:1645 - ID: 208 due to unfinished
>> request 1267
>> Tue Apr 22 09:27:44 2008 : Error: Discarding duplicate request from
>> client arc3.wnskvtao.sover.net:1645 - ID: 209 due to unfinished
>> request 1268
>>
>> as well as the cputime constantly increasing the longer I leave
>> radiusd running:
>
> Well yes; the process runs, and accumulates CPU time.

Sorry, that was dumb of me.
> What OS is this?
FreeBSD 6.3-p2   ( I applied a patch to p1 which fixed a bug in
libthread which seemed to help out cpu utilization significantly). Still
seeing these duplicate request errors however.

>> Looking at older messages posted to the list, I see Alan suggests
>> that the duplicate requests are related to radiusd not replying
>> quickly enough due to either having hostname lookups enabled or due
>> to sql backend slowness. I'm not using sql in my configuration and do
>> not have hostname lookups enabled.
>
> Are you using "wtmp" i.e. "radlast". Don't. It's slow.

Here are some more snippets related to wtmp (from what I can tell):

unix {
    cache = no
    cache_reload = 600
    radwtmp = ${logdir}/radwtmp
}
accounting {
    detail
    unix
    radutmp
}

session {
        radutmp
}

I'm guessing it won't harm anything to remove the radwtmp line from the
unix configuration. Correct? I suppose its also ok to remove unix and
radutmp from the accounting section?
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I think you are on to something!
Let me know if you want me to send you the whole config... (I'll need to
clean it up first).
Jeremiah