Configuration trouble with fail-over

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Tue Apr 29 14:22:04 CEST 2008

Hello list.

I've recently upgraded my freeradius servers from 1.1.7 to 2.0.0, and
I've been hit badly by the change in the handling of LDAP-UserDn
attribute, as detailed in
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-LDAP-Groups-and-EAP-p14886209.html

I think this ought to be documented in rlm_ldap documentation (as well
as minor other changes, such as the new tls subsection).

I also tried to clean up my configuration a little bit. I think a found
a bug in the handling of set_auth_type directive. From what I
understood, this directive governs the setting of the Auth-Type
attribute to 'LDAP' during the authorisation phase. However, whatever
its value, it's automatically disabled when launching radius at startup:

Tue Apr 29 14:07:17 2008 : Debug: rlm_ldap: Over-riding set_auth_type,
as we're not listed in the "authenticate" section.

Here is my autenticate section, using two ldap modules in fail-over:
authenticate {
        Auth-Type LDAP {
                redundant {
                        ldap1
                        ldap2
                        handled

If I drop failover, everything work as expected. Should I report this as
a bug ?

So far, the only workaround I found is to force the Auth-Type attribute
in the user file:

DEFAULT ldap1-LDAP-Group == admins, Auth-Type := LDAP, Huntgroup-Name ==
AdminNet
        Service-Type = Login,
        Cisco-AVPair = "shell:priv-lvl=15"

DEFAULT ldap2-LDAP-Group == admins, Auth-Type := LDAP, Huntgroup-Name ==
AdminNet
        Service-Type = Login,
        Cisco-AVPair = "shell:priv-lvl=15"

But I can't make my mind if it is a good solution or not. According to
the comment in default configuration file: "In general, you SHOULD NOT
set the Auth-Type attribute". According to Alan answer in
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Force-Auth-Type-p15069162.html
"The LDAP module setting Auth-Type to LDAP is a bit of a hack."

Which one should I believe ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs