HOWTO PEAP + FreeRadius + XP Client

George KNIGHT georgeknight at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:14:16 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,
Before I write my question here, I just want to let all of you know that I
did lots of searching in both google and this email list. But couldn't find
anything to get the answer.

My question is I have been looking for a HOWTO paper for a beginner to set
freeradius as an AAA server in a wireless environment to Windows XP SP2
clients. I will use Windows' own PEAP client. Is there such a paper someone
can give me the link?

I'm very frustrated to find out that there is no information available for a
setup from the scratch. I wrote papers like that before for various topics
such as subversion implementation for a multiple OS environment, VoIP
implementation with a Linux based open sources S/W etc. I have intention to
write such a paper for how to set up PEAP implementation with freeradius as
well. But for that, I'm hoping someone can give me a good start.

OK, here is my network settings and needed information;

I have a SUSE SLES 10 server to be used as an AAA server. This server is
called store-AAA and also acts as a DHCP server for the clients. I have a
few of Cisco 1242 AP as an authenticator.
Clients are going to be computers with WinCE as their OS and they will
contact to the LAN wirelessly. What I want to achieve is authenticating this
clients with server-AAA using PEAP before letting them use the other network
resources.

Thank you in advance  for your time and effort.

George Knight