dot1x specification EAPOL-Logoff clarification

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 17:39:16 CEST 2008

Artur Hecker wrote:
> Hi Arran
>

>>> well, there is a big difference: the EAP-Success (unsigned, *sigh*)
>>> is the confirmation necessary for supplicant to know if it proceeds
>>> or not (DHCP, data comm, etc). (By the way, it's difficult to
>>> compare: the EAP-Success is EAP, while EAPOL is dot1X). The
>>> EAPOL-Logoff is not necessary for anything. You send it before you
>>> stop communicating. You might just as well just stop communicating.
>> Not true. From an accounting point of view the EAPOL-Logoff is pretty
>> vital to maintain accurate information about which users are on which
>> stations on which layer 2 network where. Sure a change in state at
>> the MAC level will terminate any active sessions on that port, but a
>> change in state at the MAC level doesn't always occur.
>>
>> I know RADIUS Accounting isn't related to EAP authentication in any
>> way, but nor is DHCP. At a protocol level there is no requirement for
>> the supplicant to signal the authenticator telling it, that it wishes
>> to end the session. But for all the other protocols that hang off it,
>> it is vital to have reliable state information.
>
> Ok, accounting is a very different issue. You were talking about DHCP
> before, so I did not get it.
It's all part of the same problem.

> Actually, you speak about Accounting control: you want to be sure that
> the EAP-Logoff has been taken into account by the access controller
> and that presumably your access is not billed anymore. From my
> experience, this depends a lot on your billing plans, tariffs, models,
> etc. And precise per minute or byte accounting works rather badly with
> Radius... As you said, it is a completely different problem anyway.
>
> By the way, in that situation, EAP-Logoff would need to be signed.
> Just as any reply...
>

>> This is where it gets interesting. Just because the dot1x controlled
>> port is in the closed state, it does not mean that another .1D bridge
>> filter can't be open and allow traffic. HP et al have introduced (or
>> are attempting) to introduce two tiered authentication, where the
>> client is authenticated by MAC Address using RADIUS authentication,
>> and then may 'Elevate' by sending an EAPOL-Start or Responding to an
>> Ident Request. If the EAP session is terminated, with an EAP-Logoff
>> then the client is Re-Authenticated with MAC-Based authentication.
>
> Ok, this is something else once again. However, imo this is a very
> different problem. This is the integration of two tiers of a
> multi-tier access control. This cannot be within the scope of the
> standardization of any single access control type used here.
>
> It is therefore up to the manufacturer to make sure that his solution
> is feasible, reliable and that it works. Just one other word:
> especially in multi-tier environment, there should be a precise
> distinction of different EAPOL packets. Thus, especially in this
> environment the signing of EAP-Logoff seems vital. Otherwise the outer
> tier could always send you a spoofed confirmation even though it never
> gave your Logoff to the inner tier, etc.
>
> Anyway, it's a very different problem, out of scope of dot1X.
What scope does this fall within ?!

>>> By the way, Ethernet *is* a shared medium. So, unless you have a
>>> completely switched wired LAN, you can always send EAP-Logoff
>>> (presumably with the wrong source MAC address) to anybody on your
>>> trunk. Even in switched LANs, depending on the architecture, there
>>> are possibilities to trick out the switches with poisoning,
>>> broadcasts, etc. EAP-Logoff should have been signed, at least
>>> optionally, especially if key material exists...
>> We do have a completely switched wired LAN. One to One links from the
>> edge switches to the clients, switched all the way to the core...
>> Unless I misunderstood what you meant be switched.
>
> ok.
>

>> You can't broadcast EAPOL Logoff packets, if you do, they will be
>> ignored....
>
> I didn't mean that you'd broadcast the EAPOL packet. You broadcast
> something under a wrong source MAC until some switch starts forwarding
> packets for this address to you. Then you can safely send out
> EAP-Logoff packets to the switch on the user's behalf, resulting in
> the closure of this session (this is DDoS). It does depend on the
> precise architecture though, e.g. where is the controller, is the
> first switch the access controller etc. It does not always work.
Surely the there's a different Authenticator instance for each physical
port, so a logoff received by one Authenticator instance would not be
honoured if it could not find a session matching the source Mac existing
on that instance.

>> I don't see how you could spoof EAPOL-Logoff packets in an encrypted
>> wireless medium, unless you'd already cracked the WPA keys... You'd
>> need to crack the unicast key for the target client....
>
> Stop - the EAPOL packets are neither signed NOR encrypted, in any medium.
>
> That's the whole problem I'm talking about. They are *not* data
> traffic, these are management frames, as defined by 802.1X (1 =
> management). They never go through TKIP, CCMP, WEP etc. Since MAC
> addresses cannot be encrypted neither by definition, you can safely
> take the source address of the user and send EAPOL Logoff on his behalf.

Woha, I didn't realise that ! Ok yes this could be a big issue.